Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day

It's the end of Valentine's Day, and I'm feeling very full, for one, but also very satisfied. I was worried that today would be awful and that I'd be miserable the whole day. But on the contrary, I actually had a good day filled with pleasant, sweet surprises from great family and friends.
I woke up and was able to open the present from my dad first thing, like I always did at home. He gave me some great chocolates, licorice, and a beautiful turquoise ring. Now, my mom always says that my dad spoils my sisters and I so much that we'll never be satisfied with a husband (which is sad because 3 of them are married, 1 engaged. Haha) Maybe that's the truth. I have mentioned before that I really want a turquoise ring-before as in years ago. My thoughtful dad remembered that, and found me a ring that I LOVE. He's seriously the best.
I walked outside to my car and on it Anders (Courtney's fiance) had left me a rose with a card he made, wishing me a happy valentine's day. So thoughtful and sweet of him. You know you're best friends with someone when you can share their fiance. Hehe.
I went and picked up the kids I nanny and the mom had left me a Valentine's Day cupcake. Delicious.
I was at my sisters' house when Mike shows up with a box of 3 cupcake for each of us.
I come home and Court and I open our Valentine from her mom and dad, aka my second parents.
I go to babysit for another family and they give me a box of chocolates and a cute Valentine from each of the kids.
I come home to a chocolate covered strawberry edible arrangement from Whitney.
I go downstairs and my roommate Lucy had put together a sort of maze-type thing, where I follow a piece of string with reasons why she loves me attached to it, all the way to the freezer where there's a tub of double fudge brownie ice cream awaiting me. (this girl knows the way to my heart)
And last but not least, Cassie is sending a belated Valentine's gift that I'm sure is going to be delicious..or stale..but either way.

So this holiday is one that we don't have to remember the "true meaning" of. Because the true meaning is to show love to those around you. Throughout the day, whenever I would start to get a little bit down, I swear the next person would shower me with a thoughtful gift, and it just lifted my spirits straight up. I'm so grateful for the family and friends that I have. It's good for me to recognize all the great people I have in my life who love me instead of focusing on the people (or person) who aren't around anymore.

Anyways, it's 2 in the morning and I seriously need to go to bed. Thanks to all the sugar I've eaten today it might take me a while, but I'm going to try.




"Take away love, and our earth is a tomb"



-Robert Browning

2 comments:

THE HATHCOCK'S said...

I always think about your dad on Valentine's Day. I was so impressed when I heard about what he did for all his daughters on that special day....he is a sweetheart! So Whitney is engaged! I hadn't heard! When is she getting married?

The Giddings said...

dammit, your v day was WAY better than mine. you might want to rethink dating again, because it sounds like you get the most spoiled when you're single!