Sunday, March 11, 2012

These Are A Few of My Favorite Things

So yesterday after my horse back riding incident, I decided that I need to stop doing things I know I don't like.  There are activities that I seriously wish I enjoyed, because it would make me a lot cooler.  For instance:
-I wish I liked jumping off cliffs/rope swings/etc.  Yes I've been skydiving and bungy jumping, but jumping off heights with nothing attached to me is one step too far.  Last summer I went with some friends to the Mona rope swing.  There's two levels: scary and scarier.  It took a lot of courage for me to even go off the short level.  So why, why, did I let everyone convince me to go off the top jump?  Oh, because I WISH I wasn't scared, and was tough and brave.  Well, I jumped.  I also got scared, closed my eyes, didn't hold on tight enough, went limp and skidded/whip lashed across the lake until the force of the water ripped the rope out of my hands.  Oh yeah, I bet I looked real tough.
-I wish I liked horse back riding.  (See previous post on why I don't)  I think the idea of horse back riding is so fun, romantic, relaxing, etc. so I wish I enjoyed it.  I want to so badly.  I just can't.
-I wish I liked mountain biking.  Last summer a couple friends and I went to Moab to camp and ride on the famous slick rock bike trail.  The night we get there we decided to go on the practice loop.  Well, about 3/4 of the way through I learned my bike is not a mountain bike.  Hence why I was bouncing so high on every single bump.  Why it was KILLING my legs to get up these stupid hills.  And why going down the hills I felt like I was going to tip over.  It was not fun, not at all.  But I really wish I enjoyed that kind of thing.  Even with the correct bike I didn't love it.  I mean leisure bike riding is one of my favorite things to do, but this intense bike riding was just way too scary for me. 
-I wish I liked snowboarding.  I enjoy going down the hill, very slowly, no fancy work, no tricks, no nothing at all.  Then I like sitting and resting for a while before I go down again.  I wish I was courageous and wanted to try jumps and rails and all that stuff-but again, it doesn't even sound fun to me because all I can imagine is breaking something-and it's just not worth it to me.

So I decided I need to just accept the fact that extreme sports are not my forte.  I'm not a fearless person.  Maybe I'm a little too cautious, but that's just how it's going to be.  I need to accept the fact that my favorite things to do are probably 95% the same as my Grandmothers'.  They include:
-reading
-knitting
-watching my shows
-playing games
-doing puzzles
-running
-going to the beach/pool but mostly just relaxing
-hiking
-travelling
-leisure biking

Yeah, I sound SUPER boring.  But I won't be so boring when all your other friends are in the hospital with broken limbs.  Then you'll all be BEGGING me to do a puzzle with you.

Oh, and here's another one of my favorite things:



2 comments:

The Giddings said...

oh e-ri.

Jana said...

I need to accept all these things too. Being a puppy sucks. It also sucks not liking spicy things or guacamole. Really wish I liked these things and was cool. Damnit.